Digital technology turns media consumers into media producers. In your own experience, how was your creativity developed through using digital technology to complete your coursework productions?
Being a 17 year old I am a media consumer. When I joined 6th form I became a media producer as we took on the role of producing a film opening and music video in year 12 and 13.
Year 12 was a new environment for me as we were asked to make a film opening. However this wasn't the only thing required. At the start of the year we were required to make a Blogger account to track our journey from start to finish. The first thing that were required to put on our blogs were film openings and then analyse them. This meant that I learned how to embed the YouTube link and put it on my blog. This was the start of my creativity as it enabled the viewer to watch the video without having to go onto YouTube. The next task we had to do was an editing task where we had to edit bears dancing to a song of my choosing on Premier Pro. The first thing I learned when editing was how to import videos and music from pupil shared. We then had to experiment with Premier and match the bears with the music. I used cross dissolve on each footage so the shots faded into one another. This showed my creative side as I didn't want the shots to cut harshly from one to the other instead I wanted the viewer to see a soft gentle fade between footage. After we done this editing task we were then set to do a filming task called Juno. Juno taught me different ways of filming, allowing me to experiment with different shots, ranging from close ups to tracking shots. After this task we were set a prelim task at which we were told to make a documentary. We decided to make a war documentary at which we had to film and edit the entire piece. In the documentary we got a high shot, showing our creativity as we hadn't came across this type of shot at before. In the editing process I experimented with the music for the footage. I used expidential fade when the shots dipped from white to black to match the music to the pace of the shots. This proved creative as it made my editing seem seamless.
The next task we were set was the film opening. The first form of creativity for this task came when we were deciding on locations. We didn't want to limit ourselves to Chelmsford as it wasn't challenging enough for us. Therefore we decided to go to Canary Warf to film the majority if the film. This proved creative as it was a new experience for us all as we were allowed up into one of the offices. We used the SONY handy cam to record all of the footage and have done for all the other filming tasks. By this point I had developed my camera work skills, as I had experimented with it for over 3 months, allowing me to encounter all different types of shots ranging from long to close ups.
Now the filming was done, it was time to edit. This would be the third time I edited and proved to be my best. I was now aware of different effects and how to use them. For example I used the Opacity fade combined with a time laps when I combined the footage of Will in the pub and the office showing my development and creativity.
At the start of A2 I had to recreate the music video for 'Teenage Dirtbag'. This task was similar to the Juno task however it required a lot more effects. One of the new things I discovered was the green screen. In the teenage dirtbag video there are shots of the band drumming with tones of people behind them, this wasn't possible to recreate. Therefore I used my creativity and performed in front of a green screen to which I put kids jumping in the background. The next task we were assigned was 'Banana Phone'. This task meant we had to capture a range of shots. This task developed my filming as we had to get new form of shots that we hadn't come up against at AS. For example one shot was a 'Screen within a screen' which required me to film the screen of one camera on another.
The next thing we had to do was create the music video. As a music video requires a lot more shots than a film opening I had to be more creative in my thought process. One big development from AS to A2 was that we combined the type of shots together. For example in the music video we combined a high shot and a tracking shot when James was lying in the bath full of blood, enhancing on my creativity as I thought about different types of shots. Another way in which we developed was by the use a Go Pro. This enabled me to be extremely creative as the Go Pro was able to take shots of underwater footage, which is something that we didn't get at AS.
After we filmed it was time to edit. The editing process was much more in depth than it was at AS as we relied on a lot of the effects to make the video special. A lot of the we used looked better in reverse, such as the smashing of the wine bottle as you could see each piece of glass come back together and also the other revers shot that worked well in slow motion was the footage of water being throw over my face. Another effect that I used when editing to create a distorting effect on the audience was a blurred effect over James in the swimming pool. Showing my development as not only am I experimenting with effects, I am thinking about the effect on the audience.
The next task we were set was the film opening. The first form of creativity for this task came when we were deciding on locations. We didn't want to limit ourselves to Chelmsford as it wasn't challenging enough for us. Therefore we decided to go to Canary Warf to film the majority if the film. This proved creative as it was a new experience for us all as we were allowed up into one of the offices. We used the SONY handy cam to record all of the footage and have done for all the other filming tasks. By this point I had developed my camera work skills, as I had experimented with it for over 3 months, allowing me to encounter all different types of shots ranging from long to close ups.
Now the filming was done, it was time to edit. This would be the third time I edited and proved to be my best. I was now aware of different effects and how to use them. For example I used the Opacity fade combined with a time laps when I combined the footage of Will in the pub and the office showing my development and creativity.
At the start of A2 I had to recreate the music video for 'Teenage Dirtbag'. This task was similar to the Juno task however it required a lot more effects. One of the new things I discovered was the green screen. In the teenage dirtbag video there are shots of the band drumming with tones of people behind them, this wasn't possible to recreate. Therefore I used my creativity and performed in front of a green screen to which I put kids jumping in the background. The next task we were assigned was 'Banana Phone'. This task meant we had to capture a range of shots. This task developed my filming as we had to get new form of shots that we hadn't come up against at AS. For example one shot was a 'Screen within a screen' which required me to film the screen of one camera on another.
The next thing we had to do was create the music video. As a music video requires a lot more shots than a film opening I had to be more creative in my thought process. One big development from AS to A2 was that we combined the type of shots together. For example in the music video we combined a high shot and a tracking shot when James was lying in the bath full of blood, enhancing on my creativity as I thought about different types of shots. Another way in which we developed was by the use a Go Pro. This enabled me to be extremely creative as the Go Pro was able to take shots of underwater footage, which is something that we didn't get at AS.
After we filmed it was time to edit. The editing process was much more in depth than it was at AS as we relied on a lot of the effects to make the video special. A lot of the we used looked better in reverse, such as the smashing of the wine bottle as you could see each piece of glass come back together and also the other revers shot that worked well in slow motion was the footage of water being throw over my face. Another effect that I used when editing to create a distorting effect on the audience was a blurred effect over James in the swimming pool. Showing my development as not only am I experimenting with effects, I am thinking about the effect on the audience.
P1 join with P2
ReplyDeleteP2 - personalising the blog, exponential fade
P3- digital camera
P4 - parallel shots and colourisation etc
P5 - ultra key for removing green screen, what was the purpose of banana phone (all about creativity) mention one more task
P6 - blood in bath isn't using digital technology so much but the slow motion effect of bottle etc is. Describe the creative underwater shots.
P7 - Conclusion what effect did you mean to have on the audience?
17/25